Homemade sausages are not difficult to make and give you the added bonus of being healthy and free of harmful chemicals and preservatives. This recipe can be made with minced beef or pork or a combination of both.
2kg minced beef/pork or a combination of both
2 medium-size onions
4 large cloves garlic
160g (2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs
2 tablespoonful finely chopped thyme/ Rosemary
12 long bread rolls
For the spicy yoghurt dressing
240ml (1 cup) plain thick yoghurt
2 level tablespoon whole grain mustard
1tablespoon lemon/lime juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander/ parsley/ spring onion shoots
Salt to taste
1. Make the dressing first by mixing well together the yoghurt, mustard, lemon or lime juice, finely chopped coriander/ parsley or spring onion shoots and salt to taste. Chill.
2. Finely chop the onions and thyme or rosemary, crush the garlic well and lightly beat the eggs.
3. Put the minced meat in a large bowl and add the onions, garlic, thyme or rosemary, eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix with your hands to thoroughly combine.
4. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into 12 sausages the same length as the bread rolls. Chill for about 30 minutes.
5. Put enough oil in a large frying pan to shallow fry the sausages on medium heat, until nicely browned all over. You may also grill or barbeque them on a lightly oiled flat plate.
6. To assemble: Cut each roll in half and put a sausage in between. Top with the spicy yoghurt dressing and serve.
Makes 12 sausages Level: Easy