Chili Con Carne is a delicious Mexican sauce that combines minced meat, beans and a rich, spicy tomato sauce. For extra richness you may add red wine to your taste towards the end of the cooking. This dish is best prepared a day in advance and kept overnight in the fridge, to allow the different spices and flavours to marry. Re-heat before serving and enjoy!
Ingredients Serves 6
1¼ kg lean minced beef 2 large red onions
6 medium-size cloves garlic 1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp black paper, freshly ground 1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
5 large ripe tomatoes 2 tbsp honey
400g boiled beans 1 large beef stock cube
2 tbsp tomato paste 150ml yoghurt
1 tsp garam masala 2 tbsp Royco
1-2 small chilies (optional) 2 tbsp Oil
1. Slice the onions, finely grate the garlic, and finely chop the chilies if using. Finely chop the tomatoes and blend to a puree with very little water.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions until golden. Add the garlic, cumin, black pepper, salt, honey, yoghurt, garam masala and chillies, if using. Continue frying for a few minutes.
3. Add the minced meat and cook stirring occasionally, until the meat dries up, browns and begins to stick to the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and cook stirring for a few minutes.
5. Mix the Royco with a little water and add to the meat mixture with the stock cube. Stir well and add enough water to make a fairly thick sauce. Add the beans and bring to the boil. Add enough water to just cover them and boil once more. Reduce the heat to low, add the chopped coriander and cook covered on very low heat, for about 30 mins.
6. Stir occasionally and top up with a little water if necessary, but do not make the sauce watery.
7. Cool and chill overnight. Re-heat before serving with your favourite staples.