1 crisp lettuce or ½ small cabbage
1 large green bell pepper
1 large yellow bell pepper
3 spring onions
2 large carrots
1 large cucumber
1 slice pineapple
Freshly ground black pepper
A handful roasted ground nuts
1 green apple
A pinch salt
Juice of ¼ lemon
For the dressing
Honey garlic dressing
60ml (¼ cup) peanut or olive oil
2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1 tsp finely grated lemon/lime peel
3 tbsp honey
2 finely grated garlic ½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Put all ingredients in a jar or bottle with a lid and shake until well combined. Taste for salt and pepper adjust seasoning if necessary and chill until ready to use.
Method for salad
1. Wash the lettuce/cabbage leaves, bell peppers, carrots, cucumber and spring onions well in plenty of cool, previously boiled water and leave to drain.
2. Remove the skin from the pineapple slice by running a sharp knife along the inside of pineapple skin. Remove any brown spots and the hard core in the middle. Chop into strips and then into small cubes and put aside.
3. Remove the skins from the nuts, chop roughly into medium-size pieces and put aside.
4. Tear the lettuce into small bite-size pieces. If you are using cabbage, tightly roll together 4-5 leaves and shred finely with a sharp knife.
5. Peel and grate the carrots on the large holes of the grater. De-seed and chop peppers into long thin strips. Chop cucumber into slices, cut the slice into strips and then into small cubes. Finely chop the spring onions and the spring onion shots that appear fresh and not damaged. Grate the apple on the big holes of the grater and squeeze over lemon juice.
6. Mix all the ingredients well together except the chopped nuts and chill until ready to use.
7. Just before serving add the dressing and mix well. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the salad and mix once. Serve right away.