6 large, medium ripe gonja 2 medium onions, sliced
2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
1 large red bell pepper, chopped 2½ cups cheese, grated
3 large cloves garlic, finely grated 3 large eggs
4 large tomatoes, finely chopped 1 chicken stock cube
500g minced meat 1 tbsp mixed herbs
1 tsp cumin powder 1 tsp paprika
1 cup quality tomato sauce 450g fresh peas, boiled
3 spring onions, finely chopped ½ level tsp black pepper
Oil for shallow frying Salt to taste
1 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. Peel the gonja, slice into 5 pieces and shallow fry in batches, without crowding the pan, until golden brown. Drain.
2. In a saucepan, add 2 tbsp of oil and fry the onions, garlic, spices, and mixed herbs. Cook covered for 1 min.
3. Add the bell peppers, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock cube, coriander, chopped tomatoes and salt. Simmer for 2 mins.
4. Add the meat and peas and cook for stirring until cooked, adding 4 tbsp of water if necessary. Add the spring onions and a pinch of salt, if necessary.
5.Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/ gas mark 4. Grease a deep 8in x8 in (20 x 20cm) oven-proof dish with a little oil. Line the bottom of the dish with some gonja so there are no spaces in between. Put just enough of the meat mixture in a layer over the gonja. Top with some grated cheese. Put another layer of gonja over the cheese and repeat the layers ending with some cheese.
6. Whisk eggs with a pinch of salt and pour over the dish covering the top layer entirely. Top with the last of the grated cheese.
7. Bake for 25-30 mins or until the eggs are cooked and the cheese bubbly and golden brown. Cool for a few minutes, serve and enjoy!