500g pumpkin or butternut squash
60ml (¼cup) milk
125g (1 cup) wheat flour
2 tbsp sugar
A pinch salt1 egg
5ml (1 tsp) cinnamon 1 large lemon
2 tbsp extra sugar for dusting
Oil for shallow frying
60ml (¼ cup) honey
1. Wash the pumpkin, remove the seeds and peel. Weigh it so that it weighs 500g and cut into cubes.
2. Finely grate the zest (peel) of the lemon, being careful not to grate the white part of the lemon, as this part is bitter. Mix well the lemon zest with the 2 tbsp of extra sugar and the cinnamon. Put aside.
3. Sieve the flour and put aside.
4. Boil the pumpkin until tender. Remove from the heat, drain and cool.
5. Put the pumpkin in a bowl and add to it the flour; sugar, salt, milk and egg. Mash with a potato masher and mix well until smooth.
6. Heat enough oil for shallow frying in a frying pan.
7. When the oil is hot enough, drop table spoonfuls of the batter into the frying pan and fry on both sides until cooked and golden.
8. Generously dust the fritters with the sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest mixture.
9. Put the honey in a bowl and drizzle a little over each fritter before eating. Enjoy!