Ingredients (makes 6-8)
1kg lean minced beef 1kg potatoes
1 large cauliflower 1kg carrots
3 large onions 4 large cloves garlic
500g ripe, red tomatoes
3 tbsp oil
2 heaped tbsp tomato paste
1 beef stock cube
2 tbsp soy sauce 2 tbsp Royco
1 tbsp beef masala Salt to taste
1 handful coriander
1. Peel, wash and chop potatoes into medium-size chunks. Do the same to the carrots. Break cauliflower into medium-size florets and wash well. Slice onions and finely grate the garlic. Wash and roughly chop the tomatoes, blend in a blender, or rub through a sieve. Finely chop the coriander.
2. Put minced meat in a large bowl and add 1 tablespoon Royco, 1 level tablespoon salt and half the coriander. Mix well and form into 32 balls.
3. Heat two tablespoons oil in a large pan and fry meatballs for five to six minutes, shaking the pans occasionally to prevent them sticking, until browned all over. Transfer to a large plate and put aside.
4. In the same pan, heat remaining tablespoon oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook stirring until golden. Add beef masala, stock cube, soy sauce and remaining tbsp of Royco and cook stirring for two mins.
5. Add tomato paste and cook stirring for about two mins. Add tomatoes, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to a thick sauce.
6. Add potatoes, carrots and meatballs, cover with water, and bring to boil. Add salt if necessary, reduce the heat and simmer covered. When potatoes are nearly done, add the cauliflower and the rest of the coriander and continue simmering until the potatoes are done.
7. Best served with pasta or white rice.