In Summary
  • The controversial proposal is generating debate. Of recent, we have also heard another ‘man of God’ from the Catholic Church suggesting that employers of Catholics should cut some money on their salaries as a tithe and remit to their respective churches

There is news that the Diocesan Council, the top most decision-making organ in the Namirembe Diocese, issued new guidelines on collection and distribution of condolence money during funeral services.And according to those guidelines, 25 per cent of the money collected is to remain at the church to cater for expenses incurred in the arrangement of the service, and the remaining 75 per cent is to be given to the bereaved family members.

The controversial proposal is generating debate. Of recent, we have also heard another ‘man of God’ from the Catholic Church suggesting that employers of Catholics should cut some money on their salaries as a tithe and remit to their respective churches. As the leading faiths in Uganda, when the Catholics and Anglican churches start to come out with ‘weird’ ideas, it makes some of us who subscribe to these faiths to worry and ask rhetoric questions.

With vast resources such as land that these churches have, can’t these churches explore other means to generate revenue? Are their funding dwindling as a result of either people not attending churches as they used to or are they losing a portion of their followers to other faiths?

If it is the latter, doesn’t this in way vindicate the population census report of 2014 that indicated that these two religions had declined in terms of numbers?

Kenedy Musekura,

Kennedyndeze@yahoo.com