- Under the UPDF Act, promotion of officers is done on recommendation by the Commissions Board chaired by the Chief of Defence Forces.
Kampala. Uganda’s main opposition party, the Forum for Democratic Change (FDC), has questioned the criteria used for promoting officers in Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF), citing imbalance.
Party President Patrick Amuriat said last week’s massive promotion of more than 2,000 officers was not regionally representative, particularly at the top ranks, as dictated by the Constitution.
UPDF released names of only generals and is yet to publish those promoted in the lower ranks.
“As a party, we observe that there was a lot of illegality involved in these promotions, there was violation of articles of the Constitution that calls for the army and promotions therein to be of a national character,” said Mr Amuriat.
Article 208(2) provides that the UPDF shall be “non-partisan, national in character, patriotic, professional, disciplined, productive and subordinate to the civilian authority.” Addressing a press conference yesterday at FDC headquarters in Najjanankumbi, outside Kampala, Mr Amuriat asked President Museveni, as the Commander-in-Chief, to correct the alleged imbalance.
Brig Richard Karemire, the UPDF spokesperson, dismissed the claims and said the army does not entertain political commentators with “sectarian tendencies.”
“What is primary to us as UPDF is that all our personnel are Ugandans, and we also do not welcome political commentators who have got sectarian tendencies,” he told this newspaper in a rejoinder to claims by the Opposition leader.
The army said 100 of those promoted last week were recommended by formations/units, 372 passed promotional examinations, 27 completed probation and 171 moved up from other ranks to officer level.
Joram Mugume and Ivan Koreta, who alternately served as deputy chief of defence forces in the past, were elevated to full four-star generals, 10 officers among them first son Muhoozi Kainerugaba, became lieutenant generals while 18 and 38 others were promoted to major general and brigadier, respectively.
Under the UPDF Act, promotion of officers is done on recommendation by the Commissions Board chaired by the Chief of Defence Forces. The decision is based, among others, on establishment of the Defence Forces; one’s length of service and age; training or courses undertaken; performance in promotional examinations; appointment; and, confidential report by a commander on an officer’s discipline, performance and character.
1. LT Gen Ivan Koreta - Gen
2. Lt Gen Joram Mugume - Gen
3. Maj Gen Pecos Kuteesa - Lt Gen
4. Maj Gen John Mugume - Lt Gen
5. Maj Gen Prossy Nalweyiso - Lt Gen
6. Maj Gen Charles Awany Otema Lt Gen
7. Maj Gen James Nakibus Lakara Lt Gen
8. Maj Gen Peter Elwelu - Lt Gen
9. Maj Gen James Mugira - Lt Gen
10. Maj Gen Joseph B Musanyufu Lt Gen
11. Maj Gen Charles Lutaaya - Lt Gen
12. Maj Gen Muhoozi Kainerugaba Lt Gen
13. Brig Joram Kakari Tumwine - Maj Gen
14. Brig Elly Kayanja - Maj Gen
15. Brig Eric Mukasa - Maj Gen
16. Brig B. K Nyamunywanisa - Maj Gen
17. Brig Sam Kiwanuka - Maj Gen
18. Brig Dr Ambrose K Musinguzi Maj Gen
19. Brig Samuel Kawagga - Maj Gen
20. Brig Joseph Arocha - Maj Gen
21. Brig John Lorot - Maj Gen
22. Brig Apollo Kasiita Gowa - Maj Gen
23. Brig Paul Lokech - Maj Gen
24. Brig Leopold Eric Kyanda - Maj Gen
25. Brig Birungi James Mugabe - Maj Gen
26. Brig Don William Nabasa - Maj Gen
27. Brig Stephen Muzeyi Sabiiti - Maj Gen
28. Brig Samuel Wasswa - Maj Gen
29. Brig Jim Willis Byarugaba - Maj Gen
30. Brig Timothy Sabiiti - Maj Gen
31. Col Moses S Lukyamuzi - Brig Gen
32. Col John M Kaganda - Brig Gen
33. Col Charles R Tusiime - Brig Gen
34. Col Fenekansi Mugyenyi - Brig Gen
35. Col Frank Kanyarutokye - Brig Gen
36. Col Adolf Serwada - Brig Gen
37. Col John C Anywar - Brig Gen
38. Col Jackson Bell - Brig Gen
39. Col Dr Kenneth Ocen Obwot - Brig Gen
40. Col Sam Omara - Brig Gen
41. Col Emmy Mulindwa - Brig Gen
42. Col Stephen Mugerwa - Brig Gen
43. Col Johnson Muma - Brig Gen
44. Col Frank Kyambadde - Brig Gen
45. Col Moses Kwikiriza - Brig Gen
46. Col Ceaser Innocent Bahwezi Brig Gen
47. Col William Beinomugisha - Brig Gen
48. Col James Kaija - Brig Gen
49. Col Godwin Karugaba - Brig Gen
50. Col Fred M Karara - Brig Gen
51. Col Fred Rugadya Akiiki - Brig Gen
52. Col Bonny Bamwiseki - Brig Gen
53. Col Ronald S Bigirwa - Brig Gen
54. Col Joseph Balikudembe - Brig Gen
55. Col David B Isimbwa- Brig Gen
56. Col Felix Kulaigye - Brig Gen
57. Col Wilson Muhabuzi - Brig Gen
58. Col Dr James Kiyengo - Brig Gen
59. Col Dr Stephen Kusasira - Brig Gen
60. Col Bob Paciesky Ogiki - Brig Gen
61. Col Peter Gaitan Omola - Brig Gen
62. Col Julius Biryabarema - Brig Gen
63. Col Flavia Byekwaso - Brig Gen
64. Col Dr Shilling E Tibayungwa-Brig Gen
65. Col Johnson Namanya - Brig Gen
66. Col Dr Patrick Ogwok Ogen - Brig Gen
67. Col Daniel Mugumya Kakono -Brig Gen
68. Col Godfrey Mujuni - Brig Gen