In Summary
  • She's supposed to return to court on February 8, 2018

Makerere University Vice Chancellor Prof Barnabas Nawangwe has suspended the deputy Academic Registrar Margret Lubega Etuusa after she was charged by the anti-corruption Court with four counts of abuse of office.
In a letter dated January 11, 2018, Prof Nawangwe has asked Ms Etuusa who is in charge of Certificates, Ceremonies and Publications, to vacate office pending a decision by the by the Anti-Corruption Court.
Quoiting of the Criminal Investigations Directorate of Police, Prof Nawangwa has asked Ms Etuusa to immediately handover all University property that may be in her possession to the Academic Registrar without fail.
“Having found that the matter you are required to defend yourself against, before court of law tantamount to a gross misconduct, you are hereby suspended from the Office of the deputy registrar of Makerere University in charge of Certificates, Ceremonies and Publications with immediate effect pending competition of criminal proceedings against you in the above mentioned court under Ref No. C0001-2018,” Prof Nawangwe’s letter states in part.
It is alleged that Ms Etuusa contravened procurement laws, regulations and procedures during the University’s 67th graduation ceremony held last year.

Prosecution led by Muhumuza Edward said Ms Etuusa irregularly procured companies and people to provide different services for the said graduation ceremony, such as phone keeping, drinks, food and flower vending without following procurement laws.
However, she denied the allegation before Grade One Magistrate Peter Fred Lachomin, and was granted bail of Shs1 million cash with orders to deposit her passport and return to court on February 8, 2018.

Ms Etuusa had returned to office last year following a High court order asking Makerere University management to reinstate her in into office.
She had earlier been suspended in March last year on accusations of illegally hiring Exxon Contractors, a private company, to keep guests’ electronic during the 67the graduation ceremony.
The company reportedly fleeced parents and graduands under the guise of securing their mobile phones and other gadgets. The company charged Shs3, 000 for each gadget placed under its custody.

However, Ms Etuusa petitioned the High Court challenging her suspension, saying she was never given a chance to defend herself.
She asked court to reinstate on the job and grant her an interim injunction blocking the university from pursuing any further disciplinary action against her. Court ruled in her favour and asked the university to reinstate her pending the disposal of her application.