President Yoweri Museveni has halted the on-going resettlement exercise of 1,780 people who had encroached on Kyangwali refugee settlement land in Kikuube district.

The President's directive was communicated by the Minister for Relief, Disaster Preparedness and Refugees Hillary Onek while addressing the affected residents on Friday at Kasonga Primary School.

Onek says that the President received several complaints regarding the resettlement exercise. 

According to Onek, the President has instituted a team of officials from Uganda Peoples Defense-UPDF, State House and the police to investigate the exercise.

Onek further said that the President has also instructed security agencies in the area to beef up security and protect the residents. 

In September, the Office of the Prime Minister embarked on resettling at least 1,780 people who had encroached on the Kyangwali refugee land.  

The government secured a seven-mile piece of land in Kasonga parish Kyangwali sub-county for the resettlement exercise in the villages of Kitooma, Bwizibwera, Kyeya, Nyamihisa And B and Kyakiyoora.

However, some of the residents resisted the exercise citing extortion, harassment and corruption by officials from OPM. They also argued that the land allocated to them is not enough, while others say they had been resettled in a semi-arid place and crops cannot grow well.   

In December clashes erupted in the area and close to five Grass thatched houses were torched to ashes destroying other household property when a group allegedly opposed to the resettlement exercise stormed and attacked those who accepted to be relocated.

The Head of State House Anti-Corruption Unit Lt. Col Edith Nakalema rushed to the area to investigate the clashes.